According to myths and legends, there were buildings at Aspenäs as early as the 15th century. It also said there was a monastery here, but nobody knows for sure. What we do know is that, in 1569, Brynte Birgersson Lillie received land as a gift from Johan III, where he built Aspenäs Säteri, now Aspenäs Herrgård. The Lillie family owned Aspenäs until the mid-18th century.
After the Lillie family, a number of more or less qualified owners continued to run the business with varying success. Anders Nilsson, knighted Cederflycht, took over in 1730. He sold iron and spirits, and was also a privateer off the west coast, a profitable combination. In 1748, Aspenäs was bought by Nils Lilliekreutz, who was the 'man of straw' for the real buyer, businessman Nicolas Jacobson. Jacobson built a magnificent main building in wood, refurbished the economy buildings and cultivated extensive gardens. Jacobson started a brickworks close by. He was also a businessman with a monopoly in sugar production in Gothenburg. In 1800, Bagge was granted royal licence to buy Aspenäs with several seats. As age came upon him, he neglected maintenance of the farm and, in 1808, one of his sons took over the property, which was then split among many different hands.
Aspenäs itself, now a smaller size, was bought by Johan von Holten, who left his line of business completely to devote himself to refurbishing the neglected stately home. The current manor house, built in 1823 on the foundations from the 16th century, is his work. The frequent change of ownership continued until 1894, when came Aspenäs Säteri's heyday, thanks to the wholesaler, Arthur Seaton. Aspenäs became a model farm with parade animals, English park and garden. Seaton held many lavish parties with the cream of society, even the Swedish royal family. Almost always, guests were collected by Carl Emil Johansson with the steam sloop at the railway station in Jonsered and transported over the lake to Aspenäs Säteri. In 1900, the sloop was replaced by an electric boat called Giralda. Arthur Seaton was an entrepreneurial man with a nose for new things, but also an elegance of excellent quality. This sense of style and elegance was transferred to Aspenäs in all respects. He turned Aspenäs into a model farm with parade animals comprising thoroughbred horses and pedigree cows. Seaton established parks with new flowers and trees, all in English style. Seaton renovated the drive up to the manor and planted an avenue of linden trees.
Arthur Edward Seaton died in 1912 and his son George took over operations at Aspenäs. The times were tough and George was not as good a financier as his father. From 1927-29, what was left of Aspenäs was split up and sold on in smaller parts. The last private individuals to own and live at the manor were the Tellander family, who left Aspenäs Herrgård to Lerum municipality in their will.
In 1966, the Aspenäs Gården Foundation was established, which built conference rooms and hotel rooms. The hotel and conference business was started in 1967. In 1994-95, the facility was expanded further, now with the capacity to accommodate 180 guests and conference rooms for 240 people. Aspenäs Herrgård has been run by Comwell Hotels since 2000.
Today we are a modern conference facility with a fantastic heritage. The historical atmosphere is tangible and present in many of the manor house's rooms and environs. Our history is with us every day, and the avenue of linden trees, Lindallén, that Arthur Seaton planted, still leads the way to the manor house for all our guests - now as then